This article will give you detailed information on both medications. Let’s consider the key similarities and differences between Ozempic and Trulicity and find out which is best for you.
To be objective, while comparing the efficacy of different overweight treatment methods, let’s look at the trial data.
Manufacturers of these drugs report that with a body weight of 95 kg, you may lose:
- 17.3 kilos in 68 weeks on Ozempic – (see the research results).
- 4.6 kilos in 52 weeks on Trulicity – (see the research results).
Although the duration of clinical trials is different, after making some simple calculations, you may conclude that Ozempic is three times more effective than Trulicity.
Another trial shows that Ozempic burns about 2 times more fat than Trulicity when using low or average doses. The study involved people with diabetes. Bodyweight changes were essential but secondary objective.
When being on medical treatment for obesity, people may experience adverse reactions that make them change one appetite suppressant for another or stop the treatment course. Talking about the profile of adverse effects caused by Ozempic versus Trulicity, we may state that these are quite similar on average or high doses. The most common side effects are the following: abdominal pain, abdominal distention, diarrhea, or intestinal issues.
If you compare the popularity of Ozempic vs Trulicity in Australia, we may say that Trulicity is in less demand. Not many people know about it, and it is hard to find in local and online pharmacies. And this is not surprising, considering its effectiveness.
Is Ozempic the Same as Trulicity in Terms of Dosage?
It is not, although they have much in common:
- Both medications come in the form of pen injection for subcutaneous injection.
- They have the same dosage regimen: one dose once weekly (dose size is different).
- Both drugs are GLP-1 receptor agonists.
- Treatment starts with the lowest dose, which may be increased gradually once weekly after 4 weeks.
These might be the essential similarities of these drugs.
What is the Difference Between Ozempic and Trulicity?
The key differences are the following:
- Ozempic contains Semaglutide (molecular formula: C187 H291 N45 O59). Numerous clinical studies prove the efficacy of this substance in appetite suppressing and weight reduction. It is approved for obesity treatment.
- Trulicity contains Dulaglutide (molecular formula: C2646 H4044 N704 O836 S18). Currently, drugs containing this substance are approved only for managing diabetes.
Which is Better Ozempic or Trulicity in People with Diabetes?
A trial conducted in 2016 shows that Ozempic is a little bit better than Trulicity. We should mention that the trial was funded by Novo Nordisk, the manufacturer of Ozempic injection pens.
It is up to your doctor to choose the most effective and suitable medication from the perspective of disease severity, patient history, health condition, and other factors.
Can You Take Ozempic and Trulicity Together?
Both medicines are to be injected subcutaneously, work similarly, and belong to the same drug class. These are the reasons why you shouldn’t take them together.
Inform your doctor if you are taking, have been taking, or are planning to take any medications, especially if they are used for obesity or diabetes treatment.
The drugs contain different active ingredients and have similar but still different therapeutic effects. Choosing between Ozempic or Trulicity may be challenging if you don’t know their efficacy.
According to the clinical trials and people’s reviews, Ozempic pens are better than Trulicity. This applies to both the appetite suppressing effect and the final weight loss results.